My Linux box that had been up for a long time had to be reset.  The
machine was started on May 3, 2005 at 8:58am and stayed up until today,
January 22 right at the stroke of midnight.  That puts the uptime to
993 days, 15 hours, or 2 years, 8 months, 18 days, and 15 hours.

So what killed it?  A cron job started at midnight that triggered a bug
in ReiserFS, stopping all operations to the filesystem.  Remarkably,
the system was still running, responding to pings, and sending 500
errors on the web server.  I have known of problems with ReiserFS for
some time, and all my other systems now used XFS.  However, I wanted to
see how long this box would stay up, so I hadn't rebuilt it yet.  Now
that it has crashed, I will go ahead and rebuild it using newer, more
reliable software parts.

Anyway, just wanted to let people know of the great reliability of
Linux.  I'm just bummed it didn't make it the even 1000 days.

--
Alberto Treviño
[EMAIL PROTECTED]