Jacob Albretsen wrote:
> I'm not entirely sure where Peter McNabb (UUG Emperor McNabb III) is these
> days, but if the interest in leadership is back, we can hold elections like
> we used to do years ago.  I'd love to see that happen and finally see the
> McNabb Dynasty come to an end.  ;)

Peter is now working with Byron and me at AST. Muahahaha! We have taken
your leader, and he is hacking on our Python code now!

And now to reminisce...

I remember when the first McNabb ran for president. If memory serves,
his campaign promise was that he would "rule with an iron fist." I think
he was true to that promise, and he has ensured that every McNabb male
at BYU did the same. Evan, you have gone down in UUG infamy. I hope you
are doing the same at Red Hat.

Before Evan, there was Art Moore. And before him, there was Stuart
Jansen. And before him, well I don't remember that far back. All through
it there was this mysterious machine named "phantom.byu.edu" that lived
in the BYUSA custodial closet, a headless, loud box running Red Hat 6
(or maybe even 5, ouch). That was back when Red Hat was free, before
they started calling it Fedora (about 13 releases ago). Frank Sorenson
graciously cobbled some new hardware together for us, and we upgraded
phantom to a RAID/SCSI box and slapped some sweet Debian love on it. It
stayed in that lonely closet dutifully serving up uug.byu.edu for us,
and one other club (can't recall the name) for a couple years. BYUSA
moved the rest of the clubs to a Windows server (shudder), and we had to
meet with the VP of clubs to beg for an exception to stay on a *NIX box.
I say "beg", because we quite nearly had to get on hands and knees and
plead. Painful stuff, but all for a good cause!

Those were great days. Now, back to elections. At the meeting when Art
was elected (in 2001), he actually did have an opponent if memory
serves, maybe even two opponents. All this, even though there were only
about 7 people present at the election meeting (remember that Stuart?).
I volunteered to be webmaster (of course that was before Django, Drupal,
and the term "CMS"), so I created tons of crappy PHP/MySQL code for the
club (which we shared with and is still in use by the Florida Linux
Users Exchange), and had a great time doing it. Soren and Michael worked
with me to create a pretty darn cool site for the day. Art and the crew
really got the club rolling back then, with the first install fest in
years, the SSS CD, and lots of fun meetings. I see no reason why the
club can't be that awesome again. Get out there an do something awesome
again UUG'ers! Make your UUG forebears proud!

In fact, my company (AST) has offered to supply CDs for install fests
and handouts, whenever you need. We can even provide the occasional
pizza and presentation (probably once or twice per school year). So take
advantage of that!

Anyhoo, I hope the UUG can rise to new levels of awesome! It actually
seems like it's been pretty good of late. The embedded Linux
presentation that Byron gave a few months ago seemed much better
attended than any UUG meeting I ever saw in my day. I think UUG is
actually doing a lot better than you all may realize (especially
considering that BYU CS enrollment is down nearly 50% from when I was
there).

I'm sure once it's free of the McNabb's iron fists, the UUG will rise to
new heights of greatness (no offense, Evan, Andrew or Peter -- please
don't hurt me with your metallic, servo-controlled, missile-shooting fists).

Happy *NIX'ing.

--Dave