I have been poring over some instructions with dealing with LVM and I need some
help in clarifying what I actually need to do with my real-live situation.

When the RHEL server that is hosting our Web site was set up, I guess it was
automatically configured by the setup process. I didn't notice until I started
having some errors that the /var directory was only allotted 2GB. We pay for
50GB, but it has become my responsibility to reconfigure the LVM so that we use
as much of the 50GB as possible for the Web site.

Below are df -h and lvmdiskscan outputs. A few days ago I tried to increase the
size of the vg-var directly using lvextend, but it said I needed  32 extents
when 0 were available. I'm not sure where to go from here. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Christijan

Filesystem                       Size      Used     Avail   Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vg-root     2.0G     651M    1.3G    35%       /
/dev/mapper/vg-home   992M   34M     908M   4%        /home
/dev/mapper/vg-usr       5.9G     3.0G     2.6G     54%      /usr
/dev/mapper/vg-tmp     2.0G      207M   1.7G     11%      /tmp
/dev/mapper/vg-var      2.0G      1.8G     103M    95%     /var
/dev/sda1                       99M       19M     76M     20%     /boot
tmpfs                              1006M    0          1006M   0%     /dev/shm

# lvmdiskscan
  /dev/ramdisk  [       16.00 MB]
  /dev/root     [        2.00 GB]
  /dev/ram      [       16.00 MB]
  /dev/sda1     [      101.94 MB]
  /dev/vg/home  [        1.00 GB]
  /dev/ram2     [       16.00 MB]
  /dev/sda2     [       19.89 GB] LVM physical volume
  /dev/vg/usr   [        6.00 GB]
  /dev/ram3     [       16.00 MB]
  /dev/vg/tmp   [        2.00 GB]
  /dev/ram4     [       16.00 MB]
  /dev/vg/var   [        2.00 GB]
  /dev/ram5     [       16.00 MB]
  /dev/vg/swap0 [        2.00 GB]
  /dev/ram6     [       16.00 MB]
  /dev/vg/opt   [       54.84 GB]
  /dev/ram7     [       16.00 MB]
  /dev/ram8     [       16.00 MB]
  /dev/ram9     [       16.00 MB]
  /dev/ram10    [       16.00 MB]
  /dev/ram11    [       16.00 MB]
  /dev/ram12    [       16.00 MB]
  /dev/ram13    [       16.00 MB]
  /dev/ram14    [       16.00 MB]
  /dev/ram15    [       16.00 MB]
  /dev/sdb      [       50.00 GB] LVM physical volume
  8 disks
  16 partitions
  1 LVM physical volume whole disk
  1 LVM physical volume