Also, chrome os is supposed to be for this sort of usage profile, i.e. they
can't change the distro, and they save everything out on the web, and it is
simple to use, because it is mostly just a browser.

But I don't know how far along it is or if it would be ready for general
consumption yet.

James

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 9:28 AM, Todd Millecam <tyg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1 to David's suggestion--only it is very time consuming to do that.  You
> can save an image of a whole partition with a fresh install via dd on the
> command-line in Linux.  Create a backup partition, and just boot into a live
> environment.  Restoring an XP image with no software will take about 1-3
> hours depending on hard drive speed, but it's a dirt-simple solution.
>
> Say your windows partition is on /dev/sda1, then the command to backup is
> dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/home/user/windows_partition
> And give it two hours,  then to restore it's the exact opposite:
> dd if=/home/user/windows_partition of=/dev/sda1
>
> dd is a direct binary copy, and has no compression or speed-saving logic
> like Norton Ghost, but it does come standard with every Linux distro out
> there.
>
> --
> Todd Millecam

"And very early in the morning
the first day of the week,
they came unto the sepulchre
at the rising of the sun..." (Mark 16:2)

Web: http://james.jlcarroll.net