I second this approach.  It has the distinct advantage of being quick to
rollback.  Anything based on periodic snapshots would be much quicker
than a DD approach.  Major downside is that the OS is running inside of
a VM, meaning less performance (although it sounds like you might not
care that much), but also if they tap the wrong keystroke, they jump out
of the full-screen VM interface, to the main OS, which you may not want
them to have to deal with.

Alternatively, if you do the DD approach, you might want to get this
system set up such that the system and programs are on one partition or
drive, and the data, etc., on another partition or drive, to minimize
the size of the image/partition that you have to DD.

As a third alternative, and if you're *really* ambitious, you could set
up another computer on the same network with periodic snapshots and
ISCSI target software[1], then boot this user's computer from the
SAN.[2]  Then, all you have to do is rollback and reboot off the network
again.  And the client computer doesn't even need a hard drive.[3]

You probably wanted something simpler than that.

Lloyd Brown

[1] Linux with LVM and IET will do this.  FreeNAS can do it with ZFS, I
think, too, and has the added advantage of a web interface.
[2] http://etherboot.org/wiki/sanboot
[3] I can't really be the only person who wants to do this at my house,
can I?  I mean diskless, ISCSI network booting at your house!  That's
cool, right?  Guys?

--

Lloyd Brown
Systems Administrator