Steve's right. UIDs may need to match with corresponding user names across systems, or you can have permissions problems. If the numbers don't match from one system to another, there's no guarantee that the files belonging to "Matt" (UID 500) on one system will belong to "Matt" (UID 1000) on another system. You can chgrp with a chown command, too; just run something like this: "chown [options] user.group /path".