Just an update, in case any of you were curious.  It looks like I'm running
into this bug, or something related to it:
http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=77274.  It mentions a
particular plugin that causes a race condition.  I didn't have that plugin,
but I disabled all of the plugins I had, and I tried some cache flushing
stuff, and it appears to be working...  We'll see if it stays that way.
 Thanks for all of your help.