On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 12:29:05PM -0600, Topher Cullen wrote:
> I know open source community has openly condemned Nvidia (*cough* Linus)
> for their lack of open source drivers. Despite how much grumbling there may
> be in this regard, the fact remains that Nvidia is far superior in many
> regards. It really depends on what kind of user you are.

That's very true, and it's important to know what tradeoffs you're
making.

> If you're using a
> single monitor, gpu, don't care about 3d support, audio out or performance,
> it almost doesn't matter what you use, and discrete graphics lose a lot of
> their value.

I disagree that it "almost doesn't matter what you use" if you're this
type of user.  Nvidia is a clear disadvantage for casual and many types
of "power" Linux users.  The nouveau developers are doing the best they
can with what they're given, but the open drivers for Intel and ATI are
far superior.  I would also mention that, at least traditionally, the
binary Nvidia drivers have had poor support for xrandr, though I think
this might be better now.

> I'd be in favor of buying a super cheap case and ditching the dell
> altogether.
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119243
> I've used the piece of junk in a bunch of builds and its worked out well
> every time.

Yeah, trying to get a non-Dell motherboard to work with a Dell case is
probably not going to work.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/