On Mon, Jan 07, 2013 at 11:06:30AM -0700, Michael Torrie wrote:
> Unless you want to spend significant cash, I don't see any reason to go
> with SSD, frankly.  The affordable ones have extremely high failure
> rates from the reviews I've read.  And they often fail suddenly and
> spectacularly, with no warning.  At least the ones you see advertised on
> newegg (OCZ, etc).

Hmm, this really worries me.  I can't afford to have my server die
suddenly and unexpectedly.  And I've heard you're "not supposed to" use
RAID with SSDs.  Maybe SSD is a better choice with laptops than servers.

> frankly, 90% of the time.  It's not like you're serving a couple of
> thousand users over a couple of gigabit links, like the file servers I
> used to work with.

True.

> Don't bother with Atom.

Any particular reason you would say this?

> I replaced the case fans with NewEgg's quietest fans, and despite two
> drives spinning and the stock cpu cooler, I can hardly hear the thing.

Hmm, quiet fans.  That would probably satisfy me.

Phillip

--
Phillip Hellewell <sshock AT sshock.net>