We use commodity hardware (specifically, the Ceton InfiniTV4) in servers,
plus some custom code that works with ffmpeg, imagemagick, etc, to split
out thumbnails from video streams that we use in our products.

Obviously, pretty niche, but we have learned quite a bit about video
capture in linux, including how to set up your own mini IPTV network, doing
fanciness with ffmpeg, and what DRM things you come up against in linux.