Several years ago, around the time the IT program was created, there was
a push to create a unified "School of Computing" at BYU, that would have
included ECEN (EE and CE), CS, IT, and possibly IS.  I've heard rumors
(though that's ALL they are; I have no substantiation of them), that one
of the colleges involved refused to play ball since it would involve
losing their most popular program (meaning with the most students), to
the new organization.  Since at least some funding from the University
is often tied to enrollment within the college or department, they had a
strong motivation toward the status quo.

Lloyd Brown
Systems Administrator
Fulton Supercomputing Lab
Brigham Young University