-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, April 23, 2000 11:42 AM
To: V-MAX TECH LIST
Subject: Re: oil changes & warranty (was: Oil red light comes on)

Don (and the rest of the group),

As I mentioned on my previous mail I worked for Honda UK a long time ago,
but then every single bike taken out from the crate was assembled, filled up
with oil and checked for valve clearance and ignition timing, carbs where
untouched till the first 1000 mile check.

At that time we had to make sure that no bike left the premises with a tight
valve from Japan, since everyone makes mistakes, even in Japan.

That is why it is hard for me to accept that valve clearance is only done
after 26K miles, if something is wrong it will be too late by then.

What is the dealers policy regarding this matter in the US,or what does your
owners manual say?

Regards,
Charles ( [EMAIL PROTECTED] )

Charles,
Since I bought mine second-hand I never had to deal with the early service
issues.   Being curious about this, I checked my owners manual and the
Yamaha service manual (LIT-11616-VM-13)  Page 6-3 of the '99 US manual
states  "Every 42,000 km (26,600 mi) or 42 month"   The Service manual
echoes this (except for the 42 month part).  I have a hard time believing
that they wouldn't at least check adjustment prior to releasing it to the
sales floor.  Not here - in the land of the free and the home of the
personal injury attorney.  I can't verify this until Tuesday, but I would be
willing to wager that the valves get checked on the initial service at 600
miles.

Hal Taylor ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Round Rock, TX
'99 Vmax