After 30 years of recurving distributors and rebuilding and jetting carbs
I really still enjoy it. But that EFI stuff, particularly working with
the full deck of cards on the Delco system is awesome stuff. We built a
383ci version of our locally designed GM V8 recently. We make the cranks
in house as that engine is 304ci in stock form. The heads are very
similar to the Buick Small Block Chev race heads of a few years ago. That
is factory stock with 5 degree valve angles and small efficient
combustion chambers. On pump premium unleaded fuel with 9.6:1 comp. a
hydraulic flat tappet cam, a single plane carb type intake, 1000cfm 4
barrel throttle body and the complete Delco system, we made 445bhp @5500
rpm in the room with 450ft.lbs torque @3800 rpm. Note that we had 400
ft.lbs @ 2500 rpm. Obviously the heads are very significantly ported, but
this daily driver will get about 22 mpg on the highway and at least 17-18
around town, in a 3600lb. car.
Developing this stuff I'm afraid doesn't leave a lot of time for a cold
one, although that doesn't matter 'cause I don't drink anyway. I know
that's unusual, an Australian who doesn't drink, but I suppose it takes
all kinds.

Sam Blumenstein # 795