I would think that fixing the existing OOL constant pool implementation is a lot
less work than implementing a new one.

I'm not sure whether the existing implementation should be kept if you end up deciding to do your own thing, but I would err on the side of caution and keep it. Ross tells me that the performance benefit isn't great right now, but I'm kind of hopeful that avoiding code patching altogether would be beneficial on some platforms. For that, we need three pieces as far as I'm aware: (1) vector
ICs (work in progress), (2) OOLCP, (3) a non-patching code ageing mechanism.