Well said Dan!

It’s a mess.

Mike M

*From:* v8-dev@googlegroups.com [mailto:v8-dev@googlegroups.com] *On Behalf
Of *danny.p...@gmail.com
*Sent:* Wednesday, August 15, 2018 1:39 PM
*To:* v8-dev
*Subject:* Re: [v8-dev] Build v8

For what it's worth, I spent several days a month or two ago trying to get
V8 to build on Windows and eventually gave up (I was hoping to step through
the source to work something out).

Your Windows documentation definitely could do with someone actually trying
it from scratch on a clean machine, and documenting exactly what they did
without any jargon/acronyms. The existing documentation gives the
impression that it is a Linux-script with a few comments added for Windows
by people "guessing" what they think they might have "tweaked" on their PC
to make it work.

Things like this step:

   5. tools/dev/v8gen.py x64.release

tells me that you are assuming that I am a python developer and have set up
the file associations accordingly. I am not, so Windows merely prompts me
to ask how I want to open the file "tools\dev\v8gen.py".

I do have several instances of python.exe on my machine (one of them is
yours). Do you want me to run the python.bat file, here? The contents of
that file look a bit weird to me. It looks like it's trying to find a file
called "%~dp0python_bin_reldir.txt" (yes, there's only one '%' in there).
This, with my admittedly limited understanding of Windows batch command
syntax, seems to be gibberish. Who is ~dp0? That's a Unix home folder, not
a Windows one, surely?

I'll stop there; hopefully you get the point that you need to write some
Windows documentation. Please don't try to "improve" what you have, just
get someone who understands Windows and has a clean machine to write one
from scratch!

Thanks :)

Dan