I am very interested in helping you sort out the Windows builds, and I do
appreciate that you have to support many operating systems. However, I am
worried that I don’t understand what is going on inside those black boxes
(“gclient”, “ninja” etc).

Many other cross-platform projects seem to be happy to work with using
cmake-based build environments along with detailed descriptions of the
dependencies. In my (admittedly somewhat limited) experience, trying to
maintain custom tools that people don’t understand often leads to more problems
than it solves, unless you are able to put in a lot of effort to make them cope
with all the ways that people work. For everything else, I prefer to KISS and
spend all of that effort on good documentation, instead.

So, back to the underlying issue…

With your detailed understanding of the internals of the depot tools, can you
explain what they are doing that you can’t do with “git –recursive” and “cmake”?

Do you also understand why, on my machine, ninja appears to build everything,
all the tests pass and d8 works but it:

a.      produces two libraries (v8_libplatform.lib and v8_libbase.lib) that
Microsoft Visual Studio tells me are corrupt, and
b.      doesn’t produce a v8.dll at all, as far as I can tell

?

I’d also love to be able to experiment with different compiler settings, e.g.
whether to use static or dynamic runtime. How do I do that with v8gen?

Dan