On Tue, Feb 6, 2024 at 1:52 PM Jovon Itwaru <jovon.itw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> hey Jakob, thank you so much for your response!
>
> I think it makes a lot of sense; I know we’re all limited on time. I
> myself have a full-time job and a family. I spent a few hours yesterday
> looking through how timedate gets formatted with respect to one of the
> internationalization issues. if anything else, it was a good way to get the
> v8 build set up and start peeking through the code flow. one of the
> challenges is that I don’t really know how to submit a CL.

https://v8.dev/docs/contribute
You may also want to read more of what you find on v8.dev/docs (and perhaps
also v8.dev/blog for additional background on certain features/mechanisms).

> obviously I’m not a owner so I can’t take ownership of an issue but I
> *would* like to contribute. I just don’t know how to get the component
> owner to assign the ticket to themselves and then allow me to work on the
> ticket , is there a defined way to do that? I’ve tried to reach out to the
> component owners and I am still awaiting a response.

Pragmatically, you can just reply to the bug to say that you're working on
it. We don't need to be formal about assignments, we just (in everyone's
interest) want to avoid having two people independently work on the same
bug, wasting effort.

> it’s interesting you bring up vulnerabilities. I have a security
> engineering background and work on seceng full-time at my day job, so I’m
> always interested in fuzzing and finding security vulns. web assembly has
> always interested me so maybe I can take some time fuzzing through that.
> however, I imagine that internally you have lots of coverage using your
> fuzzing (afl) tools?

We do have fuzzers
<https://source.chromium.org/chromium/chromium/src/+/main:v8/test/fuzzer/;l=1?q=v8%2Ftest%2Ffuzzer>,
and we also have empirical evidence that they're not finding everything :)
Obviously, I cannot tell you exactly what a fuzzer would have to do
differently in order to find more issues; if I knew that for sure, I would
just write such a fuzzer myself.

> in order to demonstrate commitment, would it be worth creating a PR and
> emailing the patch to the component owners directly?

Following the Gerrit-based workflow linked above is much better than
emailing patches.
(In case you're not familiar with Gerrit: you need to both select reviewers
(e.g. someone from the OWNERS of the directory you're primarily changing),
*and* send out a message asking for review, otherwise the selected
reviewers won't get notified. If you run into any trouble, feel free to
post a link to the CL here.)