On 2013/08/20 12:13:02, Benedikt Meurer wrote:
On 2013/08/20 12:07:36, Yury Semikhatsky wrote:
> On 2013/08/20 11:58:56, Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> > What's the benefit of this change, other than trying to somehow unify the
code
> > paths?
>
> Just unification of the code no obvious performance gains at the moment.
After
> this change all but Windows port use the same mechanism based on signals.

Well previously Mac and Windows ports were using the same mechanism and
everyone
else was using signals because of the lack of thread_suspend/resume.

Personally I think the thread_suspend/resume approach is cleaner and less
likely
to break compared to the SIGPROF approach, so I'm not in favor of using
signals
on the Mac unless there's a good reason to do so.

Thread suspend/resume code is platform dependent while signal API is the same on
all platforms which means that we have fewer platform-specific pieces in the
sampler implementation. Why do you think that suspend/resume is less likely to
break compared to the SIGPROF approach?

https://chromiumcodereview.appspot.com/23115005/