We tried to go down this route before, but by simplifying all object accesses into a either two loads or a load and a store. That had the disadvantage of
reducing the accuracy of GVN and load/store elimination.

This approach doesn't that have the disadvantage of reducing the accuracy of those phases, but it further entangles the whole graph with these extra uses, that are only used on two backends. That seems like added complexity that I'm
not sure is worth it.

Maybe the patch could be simplified to have the second load take the newly
introduced first load as its object input rather than as a separate input. If
that works the modifications to the graphs could be acceptable; what do you
think?
We have another similar patch extracting the 'load map' outside of 'compare map' instructions. Like this patch it doesn't impact the benchmarks, but cleans the
generated code.
The arch-dependent code in hydrogen.h and hydrogen-instructions.h could also be
moved to separate arm64 headers, but I don't think it is preferable.