This is a multiplication stub that is usually called from non-optimized
code (or optimized code that could not be appropriately specialized).
Non-optimizing compiler does not try to infer appropriate representation
for local variable so floating point numbers always get boxed.

If this stub is high on the profile then it usually means that optimizing
compiler either failed to optimize hot function which does a lot of
multiplications or it failed to infer an optimal representation for some
reason.

Bottom up profile should show which functions invoke the stub. Then you
should inspect --trace-opt --trace-bailout --trace-deopt output to figure
out what optimizer does with those function.

--
Vyacheslav Egorov