Dear all,

Hi!  My name is Abe.  I work in a part of Samsung the mission of which is
to make Open Source compilers better.  It`s a wonderful job.

What I would like to do with V8 -- and have not yet been able to figure out
how -- is to have it parse and compile the JS code it receives, *not*
execute that code, and profile the compilation time.  In other words, to
pretend that V8 is a “normal” compiler like GCC`s C compiler, and to
profile V8 as such.

If I understand correctly, recent V8 releases have 3 compilers:
  * full-codegen
  * Crankshaft
  * TurboFan

Have I understood correctly, or is the preceding the result of mentally
merging documentation from different V8 releases in a way that doesn`t
correspond to the real world?

Ideally, I would like to be able to invoke V8 ‘c•f’ times, where ‘c’ is the
# of compilers V8 has inside and ‘f’ is the # of JS source files I am
processing [my first choice is to use the Octane benchmark suite].  For
each invocation, I want the compiler to compile *all *the functions in the
code, without actually executing any of it, and to profile the invocation,
preferably with somewhat-fine-grained statistics, e.g. with time to parse
reported separately from time to compile.

I realize that at least *some* of the above is already provided by the
profiling-related and tracing-related options to “d8” and friends, but it
seems to me that what`s already there [at least in version 4.9.167, which
was released on Dec. 7 2015] is not enough to get it all done.

As a temporary work-around, I would call it major progress if I could do
all of the above with the exception of the “without executing the code”
part.  I realize that this is a challenge for an implementation of a very
dynamic language, especially one in which function definition is not
necessarily done statically.

Can any of the above be done at all without writing a new C++ program that
uses V8 as a library?  If so, then how, please?

Regards,

Abe