[Jakob Kummerow <jkumme...@chromium.org> wrote...]

> What you want is not possible.

"not possible" is a very strong phrase...  perhaps "inadvisable" is more
appropriate to this particular case?

> JavaScript is not C.

I know.

> V8 is not a C compiler.

I know.

> Optimized compilation (not only when it triggers, but also what it does)
> depends on type feedback

I know.

> If you hack things to start optimized compilation immediately,
> then the generated optimized code
> (and, therefore, the work that the optimizing compiler is doing)
> will be very different from regular operation --

I know.

> so much so that I'd question the usefulness of profiling it.

Well, I only want to profile the JS->native compilation itself.

> That said, V8 already has profiling facilities for its compilers:
> look at the --hydrogen-stats and --turbo-stats flags. Is that what you want?

I played around with some of the flags, esp. those with "prof", but maybe not
with those yet.  Thanks for the hint[s].

> in V8's world, note that for overall performance [...] three things need to
> be balanced:
> - time spent in the optimizing compiler
> - execution speed of generated optimized code
> - selecting the right functions for optimization at the right time

I know.

> Profiling the entire execution of a given workload has the implicit benefit
> that it shows where the main bottleneck is.

Agreed.

> I'm not sure how useful it is to look at only one aspect in isolation.

I`m trying to judge how good a job the C++ compiler did of compiling V8, so I
don`t really care how good a job V8 did of compiling JS since that will not [I
hope! ;-)] vary as the C++ compiler -- and, potentially, the flags given to it
-- is/are varied and the V8 source code is held constant.

Thanks for taking the time to write a detailed reply.

Regards,

Abe