I'd use "make ia32 GYPFLAGS=-Dclang=0", that should then use your system
toolchain. Invoking build/gyp_v8 manually should not be necessary (except
on Windows, but who uses that for development?).

(The other possible, but infinitely more hacky, solution is to (in the
right directory) sudo ln -s libtinfo.so.6 libtinfo.so.5 -- doesn't work in
general, but seems to work in this case :-P )