Hi Leszek,

Apologies for the delayed reply - I've been a bit swamped at work the past
couple of days. Thank you for the excellent details & we'll align our plans
accordingly. Some replies inline.

I've replied privately to Jacob's concern as I don't want to derail this
conversation.

On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 3:19 AM Leszek Swirski <lesz...@chromium.org> wrote:

> Hi Vitali,
>
> Stabilising the cached data format as-is is pretty challenging; the cache
> as written is pretty much a direct field-by-field serialisation of the
> internal data structures, so freezing the cache would mean freezing the
> shapes of those internal objects, effectively making the internal fields an
> API-level guarantee. Furthermore, it's a backdoor to a stable bytecode
> format, which is something we've also pushed back on as it severely limits
> our ability to work on the interpreter; if we wanted to have a slightly
> weaker constraint of at least guaranteeing backwards compatibility with old
> bytecode, we'd have to vastly expand our test suite with old bytecodes in
> order to try to maintain this backwards compatibility, and even then I'm
> not sure we could fully guarantee if there's some edge case not covered in
> the test suite. Same story with porting code caches from older to newer
> versions; such a port would require a mapping from old to new, which would
> require a) some sort of log of what old fields/bytecodes translate to what
> new ones, and b) heavy testing to make sure that this mapping is valid.
> This is a big security problem; the deserialisation is pretty dumb (for
> performance reasons), and just spits out data onto the V8 heap without e.g.
> checking if the number of fields match. Having bugs in the old->new
> mapping, or in the backwards compatibility, would open up a whole pandora's
> box of security issues, where one deleted field in an edge case that tests
> don't cover would become an out-of-bounds write widget.
>
> Given that this would greatly increase our development complexity
> (maintaining a stable API is already a lot of trouble for us), would be a
> big source of security issues, and I don't expect it to provide much
> benefit for Chrome (since we expect websites to change more often than
> Chrome versions), I don't see us either working on (or accepting patches
> for) a stable or even upgradeable cache.
>
> I'd be curious to know if you've actually observed/measured script parse
> time being a big problem, or whether you're more seeing issues due to lazy
> function compilation time. We've done a lot of work on parse time in recent
> years, so it's not as slow as (some) people assume.

What's the best way to measure script parse time vs lazy function
compilation time? It's been a few months since I last looked at this so my
memory is a bit hazy on whether it was instantiating
v8::ScriptCompiler::Source, v8::ScriptCompiler::CompileUnboundScript, or
the combined time of both (although I suspect both count as script parse
time?). I do recall that on my laptop, using the code cache basically
halved the time on larger scripts of what I was measuring & I suspect I
would have looked at the overall time to instantiate the isolate with a
script (it was a no-op on smaller scripts, so I suspect we're talking about
script parse time).

FWIW, if It's helpful, when I profiled a stress test of isolate
construction on my machine with a release build, I saw V8 spending a lot of
time deserializing the snapshot (seemingly once for the isolate & then
again for the context). Breakdown of the flamegraph:
* ~22% of total runtime to run NewContextFromSnapshot. Within that ~5% of
total runtime was spent just decompressing the snapshot & the rest was
deserializing it (17%). I thought there was only 1 snapshot. Couldn't the
decompression happen once in V8System instead?
* 9% of total runtime spent decompressing the snapshot for the isolate (in
other words 14% of total runtime was spent decompressing the snapshot).

In our use-case we construct a lot of isolates in the same process. I'm
curious if there's opportunities to extend V8 to utilize COW to reduce the
memory & CPU impact of deserializing the snapshot multiple times. Is my
guess correct that deserialization is actually doing non-trivial things
like relocating objects or do you think there's a 0-copy approach that can
be taken with serializing/deserializing the snapshot so that it's prebuilt
in the right format (perhaps even without any compression)?

With respect to compression, do you think that maybe the snapshot could be
moved to being provided when V8System is constructed so that all isolates
deserialize out of the same decompressed snapshot?

Apologies if these questions are nonsensical. I'm still trying to learn how
the internals of V8 hook up together.

> We're also prototyping a potential stable & standardisable snapshot format
> for the results of partial script execution, which could help you if you're
> seeing large script "setup" code being an issue, but it wouldn't store
> compiled bytecode (for the above reasons).
>
> I appreciate that this might be a disappointing answer for you, but having
> flexibility with internal objects and bytecode is one of the things that
> allows us to stay performant and secure.

I fully understand. I'm definitely interested in the snapshot format since
presumably anything that helps the web here will also help us. Is there a
paper I can reference to read up more on the proposal? I've seen a few in
the wild from the broader JS community but nothing about V8's plans here. I
have no idea if that will help our workload but it's certainly something
we're open to exploring.

Thanks,
Vitali

- Leszek