Yup, you understood it correctly. Vagrant is essentially a tool used to
start/stop VMs and do light provisioning, and there is a plugin that allows
this to interact with vSphere, but it would be more of an "exclusive"
desktop per user rather than any kind of shared desktop. This plugin might
do what you are wanting by allowing a user to spin up a VM from a template
using `vagrant up`.
https://github.com/nsidc/vagrant-vsphere

As far as getting software installed to create a standard base image that
the users start from, you can build VMware VMs locally or on vSphere using
the vmware-iso or vsphere-iso plugins, and both of these are now maintained
by Hashicorp.
https://medium.com/@gmusumeci/deploying-vmware-vsphere-virtual-machines-with-packer-terraform-d0211f72b7f5