Background

There are a couple billion cell phones (and counting) floating around the
world. Many of these aren't able to run current releases of the vendors'
software or support heavyweight GUIs and other graphical applications.

So, their utility (and hence, commercial value) isn't all that great, so most
of them end up getting recycled, dumped into landfill, etc.  This seems like a
shame, given that these are pretty capable portable computers.

PostmarketOS (pmOS) has the goal of putting together a "real" Linux
distribution (based on Alpine Linux) for these devices.  After a number of
years of effort, they seem to be making Real Progress (TM).  FYI, aarch64 is by
far the best supported architecture.  Here are some links, for the curious:

        https://postmarketos.org/
        https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Devices

Notion

I'm interested in the possibility of putting together a software stack which
would provide blind-accessible computing and communications capabilities. It
_could_ sit directly on top of pmOS, but that would tie it rather closely to
the pmOS and Alpine Linux projects.  This doesn't seem like the most flexible
or robust plan...

So, I'm wondering whether it might make sense to use some sort of VM to isolate
the underlying OS from the user-facing software.  This might, for example, be
based on Debian, which has a pretty active accessibility effort:

        https://www.debian.org/
        https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-accessibility/

I've used Vagrant in the past and really like its (text-based and VM neutral)
approach.  So, it would be a logical piece of infrastructure for this effort.
However, I'm pretty clueless about which VMs might work well for this.

Might anyone have clues to offer?

-r