Hello Vala developers,

I am trying to write a different way of configuring Gtk widgets and
containers, with XML tags and attributes, through gtkaml.
You can view this 'jargon' as an UI-oriented mode of (still) writing Vala
code.

What am I doing now is that I extend Vala.Parser, process the *.gtkaml files
myself then feed *.vala files in their place.
That is, text processing: given an XML, I am writing a text that represents
a Vala source.

Two things:
1. I saw that starting with 0.3.x, Vala got a shiny new recursive descent
parser (btw, excellent job!)
2. I noticed that vala is no longer a shared library

These two things concern me, in different ways, and I would like your
opinion about them

The first thing is that it would be nice to be able to re-use portions of
the parser. Instead of just exporting
vala_parser_parse ()
vala_parser_parse_file ()
it would be nice if one could directly call:
vala_parser_parse_declaration ()
(just an example).

This would alow someone to create Vala (and eventually GObject) code with
other mechanisms and *also* parse snippets of Vala code.

The second issue is that ever since libvala is no longer a shared library, I
have to recompile gtkaml to match against it.
This, I think, would be an issue for any future editors equiped with
code-completion et cetera. A much cleaner way would be to re-use the parsing
part of a libvala-1.0.so/dll.
Tool support could depend on the first (parsing) issue too!

I really am interested in your opinion about these two things.

Regards,
Vlad Grecescu.