Hi,

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 9:17 PM, Arto Karppinen
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I agree that autotools is a difficult and obscure system that works by dark
> magic. Unfortunately, autotools does work everywhere, not just in most
> places, which is why it gets my vote.

I don't think there is currently a place where waf does not work.

> Besides, autotools is the defacto build system for G* things, so i think
> vala should use it.

Sorry, but that is not an argument for using or not using a build
system. You choose a build-tool to make your live easier as a
developer. If you know all the magic of autotools, fine use it. If you
don't know it, I don't think you should start learning it. Take a look
at the config.log file of a random project and look at what autotools
is checking, many are just absolute. (I think nobody cares anymore
about the maximum length of the command line arguments.) A more modern
build system does this more optimized and produces much faster builds.

Gr,
Thijs