On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 4:15 PM, Jürg Billeter <j...@bitron.ch> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 15:20 -0500, Michel Salim wrote:
>> All the Vala code I've seen so far use 8-space indentation, with Tabs
>> not converted to spaces. Is this documented somewhere as being the
>> preferred style?
>
> Vala itself uses tabs for indentation and spaces for line-up. Tab size
> can be set to whatever you like, it doesn't matter if you use tabs
> properly.
>
>> I'm packaging Vala Toys for gedit right now, and it uses this for its
>> project generator, and when editing Vala source, any attempt to change
>> the indentation gets reset to 8-space/TAB when the file is saved.
>> Granted, this is probably a bug (that I'll report), but a clarification
>> would be useful.
>
> That's a gedit 2.25 bug and unrelated to vtg, as far as I know.

I spoke too soon -- discovered that gedit's global tab setting is
overriding the override set for the current file.

(and the vala-mode sets tab width to 4, so all looks good. The
tutorial uses 4 spaces as well, so I must have been pulling numbers
out of my head. Sorry.)

--
miʃel salim  •  http://hircus.jaiku.com/
IUCS         •  msa...@cs.indiana.edu