----- Dingo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> How would one compare say varnich with nginx
> http://wiki.codemongers.com/Nginx
> where i see Nginx is not only a web server but a balancer for
> http/pop/imap/smtp

Interesting question. I have myself been looking at Nginx, mainly for its
capabilities as a web loadbalancer / front-end.

>From what I've read Nginx is not a cahce per se. It does serve static content
>(like any other webserver), can be coupled with fastcgi backends to serve
>dynamic content, and can also be used as an accelerating reverse proxy, in
>that it handles requests on behalf of slower backend servers (including
>loadbalancing). It does not (AFAIK) function as a web cache.

Varnish is a web cache, and to serve any content at all you need some sort of
webserver behind it.

Regards
--
Denis Braekhus - Teknisk Ansvarlig ABC Startsiden AS
http://www.startsiden.no