On Friday 12 December 2008 09:06:30 am Ondrej Sluciak wrote:
> I have one very stupid question, but I want to be sure that I am
> right. If you have 2 interconnected virtual machines running and
> let them compute some problem in parallel (using message passing
> interface - MPI), is it really a parallel computation? I mean,
> when the host machine has only one core and both VMs use the same
> memory and resources (though separated), can you talk about
> parallel computation?
> I'm asking because I did some tests with with such a setup, but I
> have noticed no improvement in speed, comparing to computation on
> one VM. Does anyone have some experience with it? Thanks.

If you mean are you getting quicker results because you are using
multiple machines? The answer would be, no, because you are using
one machine. You are simply sharing the one machine's resources
multiple applications. The VMs are just a process running inside an
application. Each VM thinks it is a separate machine and the host
machine just simply sees an application demanding resources.

--
Stealth