From: vbox-users-boun...@virtualbox.org
[mailto:vbox-users-boun...@virtualbox.org] On Behalf Of Mikkel L. Ellertson
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 8:50 AM
To: VirtualBox end user list
Subject: Re: [vbox-users] Parallel machines

Stealth wrote:
> On Friday 12 December 2008 09:06:30 am Ondrej Sluciak wrote:
>> I have one very stupid question, but I want to be sure that I am
>> right. If you have 2 interconnected virtual machines running and
>> let them compute some problem in parallel (using message passing
>> interface - MPI), is it really a parallel computation? I mean,
>> when the host machine has only one core and both VMs use the same
>> memory and resources (though separated), can you talk about
>> parallel computation?
>> I'm asking because I did some tests with with such a setup, but I
>> have noticed no improvement in speed, comparing to computation on
>> one VM. Does anyone have some experience with it? Thanks.
>
> If you mean are you getting quicker results because you are using
> multiple machines? The answer would be, no, because you are using
> one machine. You are simply sharing the one machine's resources
> multiple applications. The VMs are just a process running inside an
> application. Each VM thinks it is a separate machine and the host
> machine just simply sees an application demanding resources.

If anything, I would expect slower results using 2 virtual machines
because of the added overhead of the second virtual machine.

I am not sure even having more then one processor or core would
help, because I suspect the VirtualBox is not designed for
multiprocessors or cores. One way to find out would be to open more
then one vm and watch the cpu load. I do not have a second vm set up
right now to test it. I do know that running with one vm, I only use
one core. This is handy because it automatically limits VB's cpu usage.

Mikkel
--

Registered Linux User #16148  (http://counter.li.org/)