Hi

I run VBOX with 1.4GHz Pentium-M and 768Mb/RAM and it works fine with less
resources than you, I can even run Solaris as guest, slow but works, XP
works, Linux works, FreeBSD works...

Maybe you have a damage in your system or misconfiguration in your VBOX,
maybe you should try to uninstall and reinstall latest version, erase your
.virtualbox with all its virtual disks and reinstall WinXP again... Once
it works compress and backup your VDIs (burn your virtual disks on DVD),
so when it gets damaged or you need to free space simply remove the image
and when you need it just restore it with as if it was just installed :)

If it does not work try to update your kernel... What distro and kernel
you have?

Take care