Hello John,

sorry for writing directly to you, I forgot the missing reply-to on the
virtualbox list...;-(

Am 11.04.2009 22:18 Uhr schrieb John Francis Lee:

> Sorry, it's ubuntu 8.10. I have downloaded
>
>   virtualbox-2.2_2.2.0-45846_Ubuntu_intrepid_i386.deb
>
> but when I try to install it I'm told
>
>   Error: conflicts with the installed package 'virtual-box 2.1'
>
> So I imagine that I must remove 'virtual-box 2.1'

Thats right.

> but I'd rather not
> have to start from zero all over again.

You dont have to. Your settings are not uninstalled, just the files
needed to run VB.

>> Backing up  your VM settings might be a good idea, if it is necessary
>> you will know afterwards... ;-)
>
>   How would I do that?

Copy your "Machines" directory to another place. Copying the VDI
directory is taking lots of disk space, better save from within the guests.

Regards,
OJ
--
Messers Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs, offer their compliments to
Professor Snape and request that he keep his abnormally large nose out