I was wondering if there is any way to adjust the buffer settings using the ALSA or Pulse sound plugins for a VirtualBox host running on Linux.

There are two problems I'm having, using my Windows XP SP3 guest, both using the ALSA plugin: - The main problem is that the audio tends to skip lightly during playback (very brief ticks.) This is annoying, since I'm trying to play music back from the Zune software on Windows. - The second problem I noticed while playing Starcraft and using Ventrilo on the VM. Everything works fine for quite some time, but then, all of a sudden, the sound will cut out entirely. SC started exhibiting some very severe lag at this point, too, so I suspect whatever's happening is being compounded by bugs in the guest apps.

I can't use the Pulse plugin b/c it records at 1/4 speed and skips severely. (Test: Open sndrec32, record for 4 seconds. sndrec32 says it recorded 1 second of audio, and playing it back plays back 1 second of a recording that skips severely.)

In both cases, I suspect some kind of underrun issue (the former is obvious, the latter likely a mishandling of a severe underrun) but I can't be sure.

So I'd like to try longer fragment sizes or more fragments to see if the performance improves.

Thanks!
Greg