On 03/07/2010 12:17 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:

> Lew, wether you realize it or not, your "innocent question" is PURE FUD.
>
> FUD as in Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt
>
> I reply with the same answer I gave to someone else back in mid-January:

You need to work on your bedside manner, Fernando.

> Virtualbox is a DESKTOP virtualization product.

I never would have guessed!

> All the Xen derivatives are enterprise-class virtualization products,
> more geared towards server use and command line management.
> http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-xen-server-vps-monitoring-commands.html
>
> Virtualbox on the other hand shares the same user base and target
> audience as vmware player and  Virtual PC,  two other "free" products
> that do not "make money" to their software makers.

Vmware and Microsoft are, according to most folks, successful.  I wouldn't
trust Microsoft as far as I can throw them, but Vmware has a successful
business model and has been around for a long time.  Compare this with
VirtualBox.  Purchased by a failing Sun, and now folded into a profitable
company with unknown (by us) intentions who just dropped their user's
mailing list.  Hm...

> Yet, I donĀ“t see people asking "what if" FUD questions about Microsoft
> dropping Virtual PC or Vmware dropping "Vmware player".

Vmware wasn't just purchased!  Do you think that anyone would build a
business model relying on VirtualBox at this point?  Sure, the OSE version
is open source, but is there a non-Sun community working on maintenance?
There's an excellent chance that if Oracle spits out VirtualBox it
will dry up and blow away.  Is this the time to fork the project?  I'd
feel much better if the community could both maintain the code and add
USB support.

Is this FUD?  Don't get me wrong, I'll continue to use VirtualBox myself
and for my clients as long as I can.  I wish Oracle well too, and hope
that if they drop the product that they'll release the USB bits too.

Regards,
Lew