----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Valliere" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2001 10:18 AM
Subject: Upgrading

> This may be a silly question but...
>
> I was wondering if there's any tool or option or function or something
that
> will help me to build (and install) a newer version of vpopmail (or many
> other packages) using the same options I used to build (and install) my
> existing version.
>
> If not, it kinda boggles my mind why a community with as many and as
> frequently updates as the linux community hasn't created such a useful
> feature.  I cannot believe that everyone using linux (a) remembers every
> option used to build a package (yesterday, last month, last year,
whenever)
> and/or (b) intuitively knows all of the correct configuration settings for
> every package they upgrade.  However, it seems like a relatively trivial
> thing for a package creator to include such information, in a parsable
> format, for upgrades to use as a reference/starting point.

cd /usr/local/src/qmail/sqwebmail-1.2.4

pico -w config.status

#! /bin/sh
# Generated automatically by configure.
# Run this file to recreate the current configuration.
# This directory was configured as follows,
# on host mail.updegrove.net:
#
#
./configure  --enable-https --enable-webpass=no --enable-webpass=vpopmail --
with-db=db
#  --with-userdb=/etc/userdb --with-formdata --without-authlib-man --enable-
utf7-folder-encoding
# --with-makedatprog=/usr/local/libexec/sqwebmail/makedatprog
# --with-authdaemonvar=/usr/local/share/sqwebmail/authdaemon --sysconfdir=/u
sr/local/share/sqwebmail
#
# Compiler output produced by configure, useful for debugging
# configure, is in ./config.log if it exists.

Notice the "Run this file to recreate the current configuration" line.  How
does that sound?

Rick Up