OK, I dont know if this is the best way to do the backup but it works for me.....

1.- Do tar -cvf domains.tar /home/vpopmail/domains (if home directory of vpopmail is that one)
2.- If you change machine or reinstall qmail and components youll need to copy the control files that allow users to sign up so...
    2.1 tar -cvf control.tar /var/qmail/control
    2.2 tar -cvf users.tar /var/qmail/users

If you reinstall qmail in a fresh machine untar the files and copy them into the right location... The results are this..

All mail tared in domains.tar will be restored and the users too.
The "control" directory will restore all your virtual domains, rcpthosts and your local information so every thing will work as before
The "users" directory will restore the "assign" file wich is the one that controls the virtual domains and the users who can access them

For last but not less if the machine is a fresh instalation you must be sure of doing these

The assign file contains the user id and group id of the vpopmail user so if you do a cat /var/qmail/users/assign youll see something like this

+domain.com-:domain.com:508:503:/home/vpopmail/domains/domain.com:-::

Where 508 is the user id and 503 is the group id of vpopmail user

Then do id vpopmail in the command line and you should see something like this

uid=508(vpopmail) gid=503(vchkpw) groups=503(vchkpw)
If the user id and group id of vpopmail user is not the same in the assign file then the users WONT BE ABLE TO LOGIN

If this situation applies to you then just edit the assign file and correct it..

Ready your done....

Bye