I had a similar problem once over.

In your courier source there is a file authlib/Makefile
Edit that. In there there is a line begining LDFLAGS=

I replaced that line with the one below

LDFLAGS = -L/home/vpopmail/lib -lvpopmail -L/usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql
-lmysqlclient

Take note of where your mysql libs are. If you followed the mysql install
proceedure, that line will be correct, alternatively your libs might be in
/usr/local/lib or /usr/local/lib/mysql

Save that file and run make again.
I'm not saying it WILL work, but it worked for me

--
Regards,

Kieran Barnes
Signum 1226 Ltd