You should not have to stop the server.  You merely must compile
the new vpopmail, backup your old binaries, and do make install-strip.
Check to see if when you telnet to 25 and 110 there are no errors,
and for about 5 minutes, monitor your qmail logs to make sure there
are no errors there either.  If there are errors, merely copy the
backup binaries back.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Inter7 Internet Technologies, Inc.