Hi Wil,

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 12:25:42 -0800 Wil Hatfield - HVHM Customer Care wrote:

> I know nothing of strace(). The conversion seems to want to find it at the
> old path of ~vpopmail/domains/someonesdomain.com/ and it gladly converts if
> it finds the information there. But of course all of the paths are wrong

What I could see from vconvert.c source code it searches the location of
vpasswd file in "/var/qmail/users/assign".

So I'd suggest you

- either add the new domain via 'vadddomain' if you switched to a new
  server and the old directories aren't present
- or correct the path in above mentioned file to fit the new location if
  you're working on the same server and only recompiled vpopmail.

vconvert searches a.m. file for correct path, opens 'vpasswd' fiel in
this found location and does a 'vdeldomain' followed by a 'vaddomain'
and than parses the vpasswd file into 'vadduser' (of course called
functions are named a littel bit different, as it uses the API calls
directly, the the principle should be shown correctly).

So you have to use vconvert of vpopmail compiled with MySQL support, for
'vadddomain' and 'vadduser' being able to add the users to database!!!

For security reasons I'd make a backup of old vpopmail directories as
well as of database before trying to convert, there are deleting action
I don't know of all possible consequences!!!

If conversation fails again I'd suggest you send the file produced by

strace -o /tmp/vconvert.log -f -s 1024 ~vpopmail/bin/vconvert -c -m -d <domain>

namely the file '/tmp/vconvert.log', as attachment for us being able to
inspect what could have went wrong.

After all this is done (successfully) you should call 'qmail-newu' to
update the qmail-user-cdb file according to qmail-user-assign, which
contains the new path(s).

Make sure you keep a copy of original 'assign' file as well, in case
something went wrong you should copy it back and call qmail-newu, so old
paths are prevented.

> What vpopmail needs is a big picture like Dan has put together for qmail. I
> think that would be a very valuable resource. Have one that shows the
> schematic of qmail/vpopmail using .cdb and then one showing qmail/vpopmail
> using mysql. That would be most informative.

... and showing vpopmail using pgsql, cdb, etc ... simply all types of
lookup ... quite big project, which is I assume the reason nobody has
done this "big picture" before :-)
--
Ciao,
 Pit