Thanks for the replies.

I've been following Michael Bowe's <excellent> documentation on setting this up.

http://www.pipeline.com.au/staff/mbowe/isp/webmail-server.htm (I hope he doesnt mind the link)

I took the windoze approach and restarted mysql, and its all working fine!!

Thanks everyone for your input!!

did you configure for your mysql user/password in vmysql.h? if not, amend the entries and recompile.
also, did you create the tables or check that they were created?
did you allow mysql access from within mysql?
did you 'flush priviledges' to make the privs stick in mysql?

Good luck

jon kutassy wrote:

I'd like to get vpopmail working with authenticating against mysql... I have a working version of mysql that Id rather not break:

Excuse me if I include too much info : Im not sure what is and isnt relevent:

mysql  Ver 12.21 Distrib 4.0.14, for pc-linux (i686)
Server version:         4.0.14-standard
Protocol version:       10
Connection:             Localhost via UNIX socket
UNIX socket:            /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

I compiled with ./configure --enable-mysql=y

when I run add domain I get:

Please enter password for postmaster:
enter password again:
could not connect to mysql update server Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password: YES) with database
could not connect to mysql update server Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password: YES)
vmysql: sql error[c]: MySQL server has gone away
vmysql: sql error[b]: MySQL server has gone away
vmysql: sql error[3]: MySQL server has gone away

I have a database called vpopmail and a user vpopmail that has (I believe got access to this db).. but looking at this error message makes me wonder... does "Access denied for user: " mean that the database has been found just that its not allowing the user to authenticate?

Im lost..

Regards

Jon

Express yourself with cool emoticons - download MSN Messenger today! http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger