your problem seems to be with your POP3 server. Not directly about
vpopmail. Is that UW-IMAP pop3 server? I would suggest trying courier-imap
pop3d, I think that would be most widely used with vpopmail and with
Maildir format.
if still doesnt work then perhaps your imap server cant read some files or
something... its difficult to tell more for me, hopefully somebody who use
the same imap package can help you better.
You can try to run your imap server in debugging mode etc. too that would
greatly help in learning where the error is

Evren