Quoting Doug Clements <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 03:57:26PM -0700, Tim Hasson wrote:
> > I am not setting the environment variable MAILDIRQUOTA for some reasons:
> >
> > 1. If user has access to their maildrop filter, or they have shell access,
>
> > then the MAILDIRQUOTA makes no sense.
>
> My users use sqwebmail to access their filter file. I solved the overwriting
> problem by having maildrop first call a mailfilter-standard file. It includes
> the mailfilter-quota file, then includes the mailfilter-sqwebmail file.
> sqwebmail is free to edit it's own filter without messing with the quota
> settings.

I do not use/like sqwebmail, but what you did simplifies a lot of things.
sqwebmail doesn't do much special. The only thing I like about it is it access
maildir's directly.

> None of my users have shell access, so I don't have to worry about that. You
> could make the case that they could still edit their maildrop filter and
> remove the part where they lookup the quota, as well.
>
> > 2. I rather have all user information (including quotas) set in vpopmail's
>
> > mysql db, for administration reasons.
>
> I would too, and I do. The authoritative source of info is in the database,
> and when the users file gets created, the database is consulted for the
> proper value. When it's updated, a script goes back to update the users file.
> This also allows for delivery should the database go down, and is less
> database load in general.

This is very nice. Can you elaborate more on the above? Do you mind sharing
your script(s)?

> > 3. Eventually, I do not want to use maildrop at all, except maybe for
> > filtering. But I'd like to find a better solution.
>
> I find maildrop to work great for final delivery. I call a single program in
> the users .qmail file, and it takes care of everything. No forking, no
> external calls, no nothing. I figure if you're going to use it in one place,
> you might as well standardize and use it everywhere. It's easier to keep up
> with a single delivery agent than 3, especially when maildrop does everything
> you need.

You're exactly right. As I gave up on a good way to assemble everything
together, I thought I should eventually give up either vpop or maildrop..
I'd hate to give vpop up though.

> > And because I do not set the variable MAILDIRQUOTA, my mailfilter contains
> > section like so:
> >
> > VHOME=`/home/vpopmail/bin/vuserinfo -d [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> That's an external program that in my opinion doesn't need to be run for
> every single delivery.

Sure. That part I hated most. But in my case, I had no other solutions
available. I needed to switch over immediately to maildrop to avoid
maildirsize regeneration problems with vdelivermail over nfs.

> [...]
> >    `/home/vpopmail/bin/vuserinfo -Q [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> That's 2 extra programs per mail delivery, times how many ever mails a day
> you get. I guess maybe I'm anal about optimizing this sort of thing, but if I
> can avoid that (and I can) then I will (and I did).

Yes, I agree. My excuse here was that the second command would only be run if
the maildirsize file was not found. This still has the double exec effect on
delivery to accounts with no quota :/

> With regard to the url you posted in another message:
> http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/9569/2001/4/0/5564545/
>
> Sqwebmail does have support for updating maildirsize, I knew that, but
> setting MAILDIRSIZE in the generated filter file doesn't seem to work on my
> system. No biggy, I don't need it anyway =)
>
> Hope your problems are closer to being solved!

Thank you! You've been quite helpful :)

> --Doug

Respectfully,
Tim Hasson