WOOHOO found the issue.

On FreeBSD if you are going to do a custom compile, make sure you add
'--prefix=/usr/local i386-portbld-freebsd5.1' to your ./configure
command. (this is not documented and I only knew by looking at the ports
version closely)

Using the following command worked!

./configure --enable-valias=y --enable-mysql-logging=y
--enable-auth-logging=y --enable-default-domain=bwlogic.com
--enable-domain-quotas=y --enable-mysql=y --enable-many-domains=y
--enable-vpopgroup=vchkpw
--enable-log-name=vpopmail--enable-domains-dir=domains
[EMAIL PROTECTED] --enable-qmaildir=/var/qmail
--enable-tcprules-prog=/usr/local/bin/tcprules
--enable-tcpserver-file=/usr/local/vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp
--enable-defaultquota=52428800 --enable-logging=p
--enable-roaming-users=y --enable-relay-clear-minutes=30
--enable-clear-passwd=y --prefix=/usr/local i386-portbld-freebsd5.1

As you can see I am using MySQL and the default ports distribution uses
cdb, this is why doing a build straight from the ports tree fixed my
clearopensmtp error message, however I lost all my user accounts as
these are in MySQL. Using the ports version with the above configure
command fixed all my issues.

Thanks all for your input, it help a ton :D

Jay