Greetings again.

Among other things, my softlimit was set too low. I bumped 2000000 to 3000000 and everything seemed to work fine. For other googlers I discovered what was the matter with a telnet session:

$ telnet cono.org
220 vps1.digitalfeet.org ESMTP

> EHLO

250-vps1.digitalfeet.org
250-AUTH LOGIN CRAM-MD5 PLAIN
250-AUTH=LOGIN CRAM-MD5 PLAIN
250-PIPELINING
250 8BITMIME

> AUTH LOGIN

334 VXNlcm5hbWU6

> <username -- base 64 encoded>

334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6

> <password -- base 64 encoded>

/home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw:
error while loading shared libraries:
libc.so.6: failed to map segment from shared object:
Cannot allocate memory
535 authorization failed (#5.7.0)

Unfortunately only the 530 authorization failed message shows up in the client so one does need to telnet to see the actual problem. Also note that one doesn't actually need to base64 encode the username and password in order to generate this error, but ordinarily one would use the encoding to transmit the username and password.

This was discussed earlier in the list in a thread titled: "Help!! with qmail+vpopmail PLEASE!!!". I should have read on suppressing my aversion to such nondescript subject lines--though I suppose my own isn't anymore helpful, now that I think about it.

John-Mason P. Shackelford -- http://john-mason.shackelford.org