Over in the qmail list...

On Feb 7, 2004, at 3:09 AM, Jeremy Kitchen wrote:

On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 19:59, Jason Parker wrote:
But qmail-maildir++.patch causes a compile error. I didn't look into
it
and forget what the error was.
Has anybody else applied the maildir++ patch in an OSX 10.3 compile?

probably the error about the finally removed, deprecated for a long time, newline in the middle of a string literal.

if you look at the code, there's a line that has a newline and a few
more characters.  It was a bug in the patch, which has been reported,
by
myself personally if nobody else (at least to Bill Shupp's version)

However, maildir++'s maildirquota stuff has problems with concept, and
brings us back to ye ole' mbox locking over nfs problem, see past
discussions about this in the archives.

-Jeremy

Thanks. For the good info. In my situation quotas aren't (yet) a big deal. But I just don't feel right knowing it isn't working correctly... :-) I'll ask about the right way to handle/think about the maildirquota issue over in the vpopmail list...

-jason

Ok, I looked over (waded through) the archives and found some answers... What I think I'm reading is that:

1. It is somewhat broken - or as Charles said said: "maildir++ is broken by design". This is stated fairly cleanly in the README.quotas file (though it doesn't discuss locking or NFS).

2. The maildrop++.patch isn't really a solution. The README.quotas file states the opposite (Should this be updated ? ...)

3. That there really isn't yet a good solution using vdelivermail
...with the possible exception that you could set up some external scripts
to update the maildirsize file...

4. That using maildrop presents a good solution...
(See the following posts (as being some of the wheat from the chaff -
mostly posts from Tim Hasson):

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
-jason