28000 mails in the queue and you're using the chkuser patch? My guess is
that over 27000 of those are spam double-bounces waiting to be delivered. I
might suggest setting up another machine to be a smart smtp host to handle
outgoing mail. Trying to resend all that mail takes non-trivial resources.
You might also consider lowering your queuelifetime, which will
double-bounce things quicker that will likely just sit in the queue until
they expire.

--Doug