Hi Jeff,

At 13:53 27.02.04 -0500, Jeff Koch wrote:

>Does anybody have any suggestion for improving the performance of a
>mailserver runnning qmail/vpopmail/qmailadmin/qmail-scanner/spamassassin?
>We're using a 2.4Ghz P4 with 1GB RAM and a 40GB SCSI drive. The operating
>system is a basic RH8.0 install with the ext3 journalling file system.
>We're handling about 50K messages/day and seem to exhausting the
>capabilities of the server. During peak periods CPU idle time reaches 0%
>and load averages will exceed 10.0
>
>We've seen some recommendations (
>http://people.redhat.com/alikins/system_tuning.html , for example) for
>changing hard disk and file system parameters mostly having to do with
>read/write caching and cache sizes and minumum delays before writing to
>disk but we have been afraid to try any of these for fear of making things
>worse.
>
>We would welcome any suggestions or URL's that you could point to -
>particularly with respect to performance tuning that will work with qmail.

As been discussed, probably you are suffering from mails to non-existing
accounts and double-bounces.

Suggestions:

1. To get rid of the double-bounces, use Russel's "doublebouncetrim" patch.

2. To avoid processing of mail for nonexisting accounts you might want to
use my RECIPIENTS extension for qmail-smtpd. To support virtutal domains
you have to compile it without the "locals" restriction. In order to
support a domain-based adding and removal of users you have to do some
(trivial) coding. However, unlike John Levine's badrcptto (or even mine)
the Users/Recipients Database can be kept autonomous for each domain.

It would be a good start, to analyse your traffic situation in the first
place. You can use my "newanalyse" package to do that.

My SPAMCONTORL includes all necessary patches as well.

See:

http://www.fehcom.de/qmail.html

Here, you get all sources.

regards.
--eh.

Dr. Erwin Hoffmann | FEHCom | http://www.fehcom.de/
Wiener Weg 8, 50858 Cologne | T: +49 221 484 4923 | F: ...24