Hi guys,

I had qmail-smtp/smtpauth (standard Gentoo install) working fine with
vchkpw previously.

I then decided that I needed to change the user ID for vpopmail to get a
suexec script working as the vpopmail user...

So I stopped qmail, changed the UID and GID from 89 to 1004, and did: find
/ -user 89 -print0 | xargs -0 chown 1004
find / -group 89 -print0 | xargs -0 chgrp 1004

This had catastrophic effects after services were restarted.  Nothing that
used vchkpw could authenticate, including qmail-send, qmail-smtpd, and
bincimap.  I struggled for a while to figure out why, but couldn't find
any logical explanation.  So in desperation, I again stopped all running
services, changed the passwd and group files back, and did:
find / -user 1004 -print0 | xargs -0 chown 89
find / -group 1004 -print0 | xargs -0 chown 89

Upon restarting services, I've found that bincimap authenticates okay, and
qmail-send delivers mail (a huge improvement).  However qmail-smtpd cannot
authenticate, and any time I try to send mail I get the "oops, unable to
write to pipe and I can't auth" error.

If I change the password program from /var/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw back to
/bin/checkpassword, I can authenticate and send mail fine, but this is not
acceptable in the long-term as most of my mail users do not have machine
accounts.

Could anyone advise me as to what might be going wrong here?  Your help is
greatly appreciated!

--
Casey Allen Shobe
[EMAIL PROTECTED]